I think we all have had the experience of purchasing a piece of furniture, only to question how it should be cared for to increase it’s longevity in our home. Some types of furniture, particularly wood furniture, can be easily ruined if cleaned improperly. That is why it is important to take the time to learn some of the quick furniture basics in order to protect your beautiful furniture! Here are some tips on taking care of the wood furniture around your home.
Five tips for caring for wooden furniture
1) When purchasing new or old furniture, always ask for cleaning guidelines. This may not always be possible, though, when purchasing furniture through avenues such as Ebay or Antique markets.
2) Dusting, though not fun, is your friend! Regular dusting will keep deposits that travel through the air from building up on your furniture. A build-up can cause future scratching on the furniture. You can simply use a clean, dry cloth or the commonly used feather duster.
3) Avoid using water to clean wood furniture. However, if there has been a spill or there is sticky area, you may need to use a small amount of soap and water to clean the residue – but use them minimally. Dip the rag in a little soapy water, clean the area, rinse the rag, wipe the soap off the furniture and finally, use a clean, dry rag to dry the area to avoid leaving watermarks.
4) On most wood furniture you can use oil based polishes and cleaners. They will help protect your furniture by giving it a more slippery surface, but they will not actually offer a hard, protective surface like some claim. Keep in mind, the higher percentage of oil in the cleaner or polish, the easier it will be to leave smudges and fingerprints – which will cause you to have to clean the furniture more often.
5) Some experts recommend reviving grimy wood furniture with a mixture of equal parts olive oil, denatured alcohol, gum turpentine, and strained lemon juice. Apply with a soft cloth and buff with a clean cloth.
We hope that these tips will be helpful to you when it is time to clean your wooden furniture. If you would like more information about Panoply Interior Design & Consulting – please give us a call at (770) 251-4557 or contact us online: www.panoplyinteriordesign.com. We offer many different services and would love to speak with you about how we can help you achieve the home or business of your dreams!