Who doesn’t like breaking the rules every once in a while? Here are some interior design rules that can be broken.
- Being “matchy-matchy.” In a room use multiple patterns in the similar colors, but make sure not to use all busy patterns.
- Leaving the ceiling white. The ceiling is a great way to bring color to a room.
- Not using dark colors in small spaces. Dark colors can make a small space feel more intimate, but you do not want to use dark colors in spaces that need light, like a home office.
- Metal hardware has to match. You can use the contrasting metal as an accent color in a room.
- A living room requires a sofa. You can arrange your living room with lounge chairs arranged around a large cocktail table and leave the sofa out.
- You have to use small furniture in small spaces. In actuality, choosing a few larger pieces for the room can make it feel larger, while having many small pieces can make it feel smaller.
- Mixing antiques with contemporary pieces is a no-no. Mixing the two styles can actually bring a special feel to your space.